I'm done! What else can I do?

What's a teacher's worst nightmare? Hearing the following statement over and over again: "I'm done, what do I do next?"

You've made a plan that attends the various needs of your students, you have a strong plan, you've over-planned, and yet, there are still students who will finish early, and well. While you appreciate them asking instead of just sitting and wasting time, your mind races as you think "What can I do now to challenge this child?"

Our post today is about enrichment. This week in math, fourth and fifth graders have begun ongoing projects that take what they know and allow them to go deeper and wider with the information.

In the spirit of this phrase: "Those who can, teach" The fifth graders are creating visual presentations on how to do the algorithm for multi-digit long division. They will share these presentations with each other and the fourth grade. This Friday, they will be sharing how-to posters on multi-digit multiplication strategies. Ask your fifth grader to show you his or her slideshow!






Fourth graders are using algebra to break up large multiplication problems into smaller ones. In other words, they're to distribute! They are also learning what that looks like. We've begun a "Skyline Project" this week, in which students take a given product and break it into smaller products, using arrays as a visual.




Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus