Math = Fun

Math is fun in Thunder and Lightning. Ask our students and many would agree. Right now we are knee deep into large digit subtraction and addition algorithms and strategies. Fifth graders are thinking about estimation as a tool for checking our answers, asking ourselves the question, "does this answer make sense?" 
Anna is using a "starter problem" to help with large digit addition.
Starter problems is one of the strategies used by fourth graders in math. 

Antonio teaches his strategy for large digit addition

Mrs. McCallihan and Ms. Wu discuss how to use estimation as a tool for solving problems and checking solutions. 
Mae and Kaila play Close to 1000. A game where the students use digit cards to make three digit addition problems that get them as close to 1000 as possible. Kaila, "Hmm I think I think I should put this "1" in one of the digit places because it will get me closer to 1000."

Mia, Tessa and Isabella are checking each other's calculations

"The wild cards make this easier," stated Oskar.

"Oh yeah! I got 1000 exactly four times!" exclaimed Michael. 

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus