Last Reading Summaries of the Summer

Sarah, Plain and Tall By: Patricia MacLachlan
This story is about a lady from Maine. Her name is Sarah and she is plain and tall. She came to take care of Caleb and Anna and be a wife to their father. This is a story that took place in the pioneer time.


I think Sarah was brave to leave Maine to marry someone she had never met. I think that this story was more focused about playing with Caleb and Anna. This book could've been longer or a series because it made me feel like there has be more to what happens after they get married.
-KJ

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger By: Louis Sachar
I like this book because it's almost like each chapter is a different story. I like how Louis Sachar's imagination is so creative and no one would ever think of his kind of imagination. My favorite story was Ears because Mrs. Norgad has three ears literally, two on each side of her head and one on top of her head, but you can't see it because it is covered under her thick hair.I recommend this to kids that like crazy imagination. 
-KJ

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar
I like the book Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger because sometimes you don’t understand it but then they explain it and it gets funny. For example: it is pet day so everyone brings a pet. The kids teachers, and pets are saying weird things like ‘’Mrs. Jewels licked her leg’’ (Mrs. Jewels is the kids teacher). 
But then they show this: name of kid kind of pet name of pet

Deedee dog cat

Ron cat dog

D.J. dog O.K

Jenny dog What

Mac dog Mac

Joy dog Todd

Sharie turtle yorpet

Benjamin mouse handsome

Calvin cat Mrs. Jewels

Kathy skunk Gross

John frog yogurt

Maurecia cat strawberry

Rondie bird crackers

Myron chipmunk cheese

Allison cat socks

Jason cat socks

Dameon ferret yorno

Joe hamster mino

Paul pig tails

Leslie cat pyjamas

Terrence dog crazy

Eric Fry kid (goat) Billy

Eric Bacon dog Billy

Eric Ovens cat Billy

Dana dog pugsy

Todd kid) (human) Ralphie

Stephen orange Fido

I also like it because the characters are weird. Once they had a teacher with an extra nostril that he sucked up voices with. And a teacher who made another teacher, who was her student once, do homework that he forgot to do 15 years ago. Mrs. Zarves is also crazy because she said that the cow in her classroom made her drop the chalk so the cow has to pick it up. I like Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger because the kids and teachers are weird and funny.
-KA

Where The Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
I like the book Where The Sidewalk Ends, because for some poems Shel Silverstein writes the poems in a different way depending on which poem it is, like this poem

LAZY JANE

Lazy

lazy

lazy

lazy

lazy

lazy

Jane

She

Wants

a

drink

of

water

so

she

waits

and

waits

and

waits

and

waits



and

waits

for

it

to

rain


The book has ordinary stuff, like eating a peanut butter sandwich, and crazy stuff, like not being able to open your mouth, mixed together. I also think it is funny that the poem “Afraid of the Dark” says “Please do not close this book on me at the end because if you close the book it would be dark”.
-KA

The BFG by Roald Dahl
The BFG is a kind dream catching giant who takes a girl named Sophie back to his land. Sophie is an 8-year-old orphan who is now having great adventures with him. Nine man eating giants are eating children, Sophie and the BFG have to save them with help from the QUEEN. Now I think you should read it to see what happens! I really don’t want to ruin such a fantastic book like this. I give this book 5 stars!
-KH

Freckle Juice by Judy Blume
Andrew Marcus is a little boy who is dying to have freckles. His friend Nicky has freckles all over him and HATES them!! One day Sharon tells Andrew that she can help him get freckles. The next day Sharon was at her desk and tosses the ingredients back to Andrew. His teacher sees it and takes it away for the rest of the day. Once he gets home he immediately looks at them, mixes them together, and takes 2 gulps. When his mother gets home she sees her son has turned green. When he finally gets back to school with drawn on freckles, his teacher gives him freckle remover. His teacher told him to like himself just the way he is. I think that is great advice!
-KH

The BFG by Roald Dahl
In the book The BFG I like that the giants speak a different language but also English. I also think that the names of the giants are cool.

These are their names:

THE FLESHLUMPEATER

THE BONECRUNCHER

THE MANHUGGER

THE CHILDCHEWER

THE MEATDRIPPER

THE GIZZARDGULPER

THE MAIDMASHER

THE BLOODBOTTLER

THE BUTCHER BOY

THE BFG

I also like that the book has weird stuff like places off the map and different types of dreams. The book says that if a giant (besides the BFG) eats a human being then he doesn’t even have to chew because the giants are so big! I think the BFG’s drinks are cool because the bubbles go down and they make you shoot up in the air and fart. The BFG is now one of my favorite Roald Dahl books!
-KA

The BFG By:Roald Dahl
I like this book because I think it has a lot of fantasy like how the giants
eat the children and people. My favorite part is when the BFG and Sophie
go to Queen Elizabeth's palace because when BFG spits out the coffee and
asked if there was any frobscottle and said "Then we can be wizzpoping all
together." and when Sophie said "Wizzpoping is strictly forbidden." And
when the Queen said "If he wants to play music please let him play."
And after the Queen gave his permission, he gave the biggest wizzpoper
(fart) you could ever imagine!!! If your wondering what happened in the
end you'll have to read the book. I think this book is a great book along with all the other the other Ronald Dahl books.
-KJ

Nancy Drew: Password to Larkspur Lane By: Carolyn Keene
Nancy is stuck between two mysteries. Who is sending her letters by homing pigeon? Who kidnaped Morgan? If you have read the book you would've known that the two mysteries are related. Oops! Did I just say that out loud?! Spoiler alert! Sorry. My favorite part was when Nancy Drew and her friends make the plan for the kidnappers, but...sadly Nancy got kidnapped and the plan failed, but you know Nancy she always figures out a way to get out, and she did! She broke out of the dungeon and cracked the case. I think that this story was one of my favorite mystery book that I have ever read. I think this book is a good book for kids like me and love mystery books.
-KJ

The BFG by Roald Dahl
I really like BFG because it's cool how he can hear what type of dream it is. The book was different from the movie for many reasons including, in the movie BFG and Sophie could see the dreams but in the book only BFG can hear the dreams.

My favorite part is when they feed the giants snozzcumbers and that's all they can eat. I think snozzcumbers probably taste like rotten eggs mixed with spoiled milk and old mayonnaise.

I think one day my brother will love this book!
-TK


Loser by Jerry Spinelli
The book is about a kid who gets made fun of. The story of Donald Zinkoff started out in first grade and ends in sixth grade. His teacher Miss Meek is his favorite teacher. The first day of school he asks "how many more days until we are in high school? " Even though he asks the question he loves school.

At the start of third grade for him he comes to a very hard question "do you have a best friend?" He writes down the name of someone he has been with since first grade. Then they had a play date and got to know each other better. They played a lot before fourth grade. Then they were just not friends anymore.

Zinkoff got to sixth grade and met his old neighbor Andrew. But when they met Andrew got a new name, Drew. He was not nice to Zinkoff. Toward the end of the book a little girl he knew got lost in a snowstorm. He went out looking for her. He looked all night but passed out. When he woke up in bed he did not know what had happened. The little girl was found at 8 o'clock and he did not know. He was found by a snowplow.

I did not like the book because it did not tell me much. I did feel bad for Zinkoff though because the kids were mean to him as he didn't really have any friends.
-FM


The BFG by Roald Dahl
A young girl named Sophie sees a giant through her orphanage window. The giant hears her heart beat and snatches her. He takes her to a place called Giant Country where there are nine other giants. These other nine giants eat humans but The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) doesn’t eat humans. Sophie doesn’t like that the other giants eat humans so she wants to put a stop to it. Then she gets Queen Victoria to help her stop the giants. I think the book is funny, intense, and satisfying. I thought the part where The BFG drank the Frobscottle and makes a Whizzpopper was funny. The BFG is the best book ever by Roald Dahl and I’d recommend you read it.
-DM

The Mouse and The Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
A mouse named Ralph lives in the Mountain View Inn, and one day a boy named Keith and his family move into the hotel room Ralph is in. Ralph sees a toy motorcycle that Keith has and tries to ride it. Ralph can’t start the motorcycle but with the help of Keith he rides the motorcycle, and they become friends. This book is funny, weird, and heartwarming. I liked the part when he was almost sucked up by the maids vacuum cleaner. The first in a three book series is great.
-DM

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
After seeing an ad in the newspaper that says, “ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?” Reynie Muldoon decides to take a test being hosted in a nearby facility.He takes two rounds of testing and he’s the only one to pass each time - he does that easily by reading the lines and finding the puzzles after refusing the offer to cheat. When he starts the physical tests he meets George, or Sticky Washington and Kate Wetherall a girl with a big bucket of objects.Once he makes friends with them and meet somebody named Milligan they go to the man behind it all...Mr.Benedict. Afterwards he introduces them to Constance contraire. The next day he tells them about an organization called the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened(L.I.V.E.), a school for orphans. He then tells them that there are messages being broadcasted through TVs, and radios of little kids voices from that place that no one can hear.It made some people disappear. The Mysterious Benedict Society(Reynie Muldoon, Sticky Washington, Kate Wetherall, and Constance Contraire) now have to go over there and put stop to it.
-DM

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus