What is exciting about Camp Bernie?



What is exciting about Camp Bernie?

Some of the students said this about their trip to Camp Bernie

Roma L: I love Camp Bernie! I'm excited to go!
Sandy: I'm so excited! I'm looking forward to the stream ecology class, and I'm really looking forward to finding the fish.
Julia: I'm really excited to do the scavenger hunt.
Sasha: I'm excited for doing the low ropes. It's not something I do everyday.

Excitement seems to be a central theme when Thunder and Lightning students talk about their day trip to Camp Bernie.

This year students, teachers, and chaperones head out on Friday, Oct. 22, by bus on a day trip to Camp Bernie. Camp Bernie is a YMCA Camp Bernie that sits within the Schooley Mountains in the northernmost area of Hunterdon County, New Jersey; approximately 1.5 hours from New York City. The camp resides on 285 acres of hilly forests and beautiful streams feeding the Musconetcong River.

Activities include: stream ecology, low ropes course, geo-caching and team building challenges. Lunch will be provided and the camp always has a no nuts policy. Here are the descriptions of the activities:

Teambuilding Challenges (ASEs)
The core of our Teambuilding Challenges presents each group with various obstacles, some more physical in nature than others. Although success is the focus, we determine the group’s success not by whether they complete a challenge or how fast, but by the degree to which they make progress working together as a group. There are various levels of difficulty among the elements.

Low Ropes Course
Low Ropes give individuals direct control over their own success and safety. Team members use encouraging words and physical techniques (spotting) to develop trust, a positive team spirit, and the courage and confidence to overcome mental and physical obstacles together in small groups. We have two low ropes courses to maximize participation!

Stream Ecology
Developing an awareness of life within an aquatic ecosystem, participants will have the opportunity to sample plant and animal life in our on-site stream. Different stages of life development are presented, focusing on each organism’s importance and impact on the food chain. Does a frozen pond or stream still support life? Do fish and other aquatic life head south for the winter? How do they survive? In the winter months, students will explore the frozen environs of the stream to answer these and other questions. Participants may get wet.

Geo-caching
Students will go on a scavenger hunt through camp using GPS units. They will learn about Latitude and Longitude, as well as GPS navigation skills.

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus