Many More Summaries to Read

On my Honor By Marion Dane Bauer
These boys I’m about to talk about are no ordinary boys if that’s what you think. Tony and Joel want to travel to a park that is nine miles away from home just to climb the bluffs. Well at least one of them does (Tony). Either way they have to ask permission from their parents first. So Joel asks his dad because his dad says no for everything. after a long argument Joel and Tony are allowed to travel to the bluffs. While Tony is excited Joel is as scared as ever. Joel is begging his father not to let them go but his father won’t change his mind. On there way to the bluffs Joel finds a stream and asks Tony if he wants to go swimming. Tony says no because the water is to dirty, and Joel says “Why don’t you just swim in your toilet.’’ Then Tony asked to go to the pool. The boys swam for a couple of hours. when they left they found a hut and stayed there for a little while. then finally Joel asks one more time if Tony wanted to go swimming in the river. Tony just said yes, but the real reason Tony said no was because he couldn’t swim that well. As they got about fifty feet in Tony quickly fell behind and when Joel got to the end Tony was nowhere to be seen. Joel was panicking so he went to find help, after searching for 10 minutes he found help. Joel found a teenage boy who was a great swimmer. Joel motioned to the boy that tony was drowning. The boy searched for Tony but couldn’t find him, so he went home. After a few minutes of weeping Joel also went home. he tried to tell his parents the truth but he couldn’t, it just came out one big lie. Joel ran up to his room and started crying, and after a little while he got on his pj’s and went to bed. Joel’s father came in to say goodnight. Joel tried to make it seem like nothing had happened, but his father saw right through him. Joel started crying, then his father left the room. When Joel was trying to sleep he thought that Tony would be in a better place.
-EG

The BFG by Roald Dahl
I read the BFG and enjoyed it. It was cool how the story goes on and how Sophie learns about the giants. It was funny when the three men fell into the hole at the giants pit. I liked how there was a big wall in the back of the queen’s castle and the BFG walks right over it. I liked how the BFG caught dreams and blew them into children’s heads too. The BFG was a good name because it’s The Big Friendly Giant and that is true about the giant. If I would have to rate the book on a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate it a 9.9.
-IO

The BFG By Roald Dahl
The BFG is a "twitch-tickling" story about a big friendly giant also known as the BFG. Unlike the other giants who eat "human beans" for a living, the BFG collects dreams and blows them into the windows of little "chiddlers." The other main character is a young, brave girl about eight-years-old named Sophie. One night the BFG snatches Sophie out of her orphanage because she accidentally saw him. The BFG brings her to giant country and they become really good friends. Together they come up with a plan to stop the other "filthsome" man-eating giants. They go to the queen and give her a "frightsome" dream about giants eating little kids to convince her to help them stop the nine nasty giants. Sophie and the BFG have a royal breakfast with the queen in Buckingham Palace. Together they stop the giants and throw them into a massive pit so that they can no longer taste flesh for the rest of their lives. The giants' diet is now "repulsant" snozzcumbers and the people of the world are now safe. . . hopefully! This is a very interesting and exciting book. I really like books by Roald Dahl because they grab your attention from the very first chapter. I liked the funny vocabulary, funny names, and the funny illustrations. I recommend this book to ages 8 and up.
-GA

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Stargirl is a dramatic and suspenseful book. I think it’s dramatic because Leo loves Stargirl but if he chooses Stargirl he’ll be a nobody. Its suspenseful because one second Stargirl is the new girl then she's the most popular kid in the school. When things happen you feel like you're in the characters shoes. You think the book is about to be done, then something happens and a new storyline opens up. The best part for me is when they meditate in the desert and they talk. I think Stargirl is a preserver because she tries to keep people in the spirit of things but they don't but she keeps on pushing. I think Leo’s unconsidered because he loves Stargirl more but he chooses his friends over Stargirl. I recommend this book to someone who likes drama.
-JL

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
The Whipping boy is an dramatic and mysterious book. I think its dramatic because Jemmy {The Whipping boy} is whipped every time Prince Brat does wrong. The book's mysterious because you don't know what Jemmys going to do. When things happen you experience it to. You think the books going to end but the same problem happens again. The best part for me is when Jemmy and Prince Brat are in the sewer. I think Jemmy is a perseverer because he doesn't stop until he escapes the castle. I think Prince Brat is a brat because he make everyone give him the royal treatment. I recommend this book to anyone who likes drama and slight mystery.
-JL

The BFG by Roald Dahl
The BFG is an adventurous and mysterious book. Its adventurous because the BFG and Sophie go on journeys. Its mysterious because you don't know what things are. When things happen you can picture in your mind crystal clear. You think something's going to happen but it doesn't. The best part for me is when Sophie is in the BFG’s ear. I think the BFG is helpful because he helps Sophie do whats right. I think Sophies kind because she believes in whats right. I recommend this book to anyone who likes comedy and mystery.
-JL

The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver is about a clever, regular boy named Jonas. One of the things I liked about The Giver is that even though we do have color and love in our life we also have hate and other emotions that can crush us. The Giver tried to teach us that our world isn’t that different from Jonas’ world sometimes. I loved the way the sentences structured the book with the help of the feelings. That helped the book show more of the meaning, word choice, and similarities that I see.

Some things I think this book needs is a way to send the same message in a different way. Like telling about how lucky that we have all this color, life, and love. Another thing that bothered me about this book is that there were some hangcliffings happening that made me crazy for more. Also sometimes what the author was telling us wasn’t clear. Even if this book had some things that it could fix it made me warm and happy.

I think kids the ages of 8-any age would especially enjoy this book. It would make anybody who read it understand the world in a new perspective. It would give people a chance to see something new and expand their brain. With creativity from this book people will put themselves in other people's shoes and motivate themselves. In a summarized version this one book could change the world.
-CK

The BFG by Roald Dahl.

There is a girl named Sophie. When she was sleeping she saw a giant outside of her window so she then looked out the window, but the giant noticed her. The giant took her out of where she was sleeping and took her to his cave. Then giant (BFG) became friends with Sophie. After a while Sophie finds out that there are a lot of giants, but all of them eat humans except for the BFG. Then a giant called the Bloodbottler comes into their cave. Sophie has to hide from him inside of a vegetable called Snozzcumber. The giant then puts the Snozzcumber in his mouth, but since it tastes so bad that the giant has to spit it out. The giant then leaves. After a while the BFG and Sophie go dream catching, and find a nightmare. They then take the nightmare to one of the sleeping giants and the sleeping giant got into a bad nightmare which made him go crazy and hit and kick other giants. Then Sophie and the BFG go put the good dreams in sleeping kids, but they go to London. They then go to the Queen of England's palace to give them good dreams. The queen is awake though and Sophie was going to blow good dreams into the queen, but the queens maid opens the curtains and saw Sophie. They let Sophie in and she tells the Queen all about the bad giants eating people, so the Queen calls the army and they follow the BFG to giant country. They then capture all the giants, and dig a big hole in london to put the giants in. That is where the story ends. 

I would recommend this book to people that like long funny stories.
-KKS


Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
I think Fantastic Mr. Fox is a book that thrills you. I liked how the nice animals lived happily. But it was scary when Mr. Fox lost his tail. I think this book is about the animals being troopers even when they were hungry.
Fox and badger worked together and got food for the animals. They made a new life under ground. I researched and foxes really live in burrows!!
-OG

The BFG by Roald Dahl
The BFG is a book about an orphan named Sophie being captured by a kind giant. Something I liked about the book is how the BFG speaks. My favorite character is the BFG because of his kind and patient personality.
The funniest part was how giant soda makes you fart not burp.
I think people who like imaginary stories and happy endings would like this book.
-OG

The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes By Carolyn Keene
Carolyn Keene is a spectacular author who writes phenomenal mystery stories. This particular book, The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes is one of the most intriguing books I've ever read. It is incredible that there are so many threats and incidents and Nancy still doesn't give up. For example, there was this life-threatening episode. One thief purposefully drove into Nancy’s car and knocked her car off the bridge and put Nancy and her friends’ life in danger. But that didn't stop Nancy from investigating.

Even though this book is fantastic, I do feel the way it was written is sometimes too complicated, which leads to some confusion for me. At times I lose track of who is doing what, and who is speaking. The storyline is also complex and I feel overwhelmed because there is too much information and it becomes challenging to connect the dots for the reader.

The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes is the type of book that once you pick up, you cannot put down until the very last word. You will want to keep reading because it's a cliff-hanger book. It’s always full of surprises and you do not know what's going to happen next. The book title, The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes, talks about bagpipes, but doesn't really have a main use for them until the end. I would recommend this book to people who like adventure and mystery. I would rate this book a 4 ½ stars out of five.
-NL

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory By Roald Dahl
Willy Wonka is a very devoted, absurd, and creative person, especially when it comes to sweets and treats. All of his wonderful new ideas for crazy candy are so creative! (I mean, who else would’ve thought of three course dinner gum, square candies that look round, and so many more flabbergasting treats!) And that leads us to his next trait, absurd. Willy Wonka names his candies with very bizarre names. Everlasting Gobstoppers and Swudge Grass are just two of the crazy candy names. The only reason Willy Wonka sent out the golden tickets is because he is so devoted to his candy making and wants a child who will learn his ways quickly and keep the factory a success. Overall, I think Willy Wonka is one of the most talented people on earth.

Charlie, the other main character, is a little boy who is naturally respectful, curious, and contented. Every night when his grandparents tell him stories, Charlie listens respectfully as he is focused and doesn’t interrupt. When Charlie listens to stories every night, he is especially curious engaged and asks a lot of questions. Each and every day Charlie has to eat the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But he is happy with what he has and does not complain about it. Somehow he seems like the opposite of Willy Wonka, except maybe they both share the love of candy.

One character that I am fond of is Grandpa Joe. Grandpa Joe is the oldest character in this story, he is at the age of ninety six and a half, almost a century old! He shows his love and care to his grandchild Charlie, by sharing lovingly stories every night after dinner. Grandpa Joe is young at heart even though he hasn't been out of bed for twenty years. When he learned that Charlie found the the last golden ticket, it was exciting to read how he jumps out with excitement and starts dancing in his pajamas. Even though Charlie and Grandpa Joe were so delighted to be in Willy Wonka’s factory, Grandpa Joe was still able to keep his calm and looked out for himself and Charlie from getting into troubles. He is one great grandfather I will look up to!
-NL

Frindle By Andrew Clements
“But Mrs. Granger didn’t just enjoy the dictionary. She loved the dictionary - almost worshiped it.”
In two sentences, Andrew Clements can let you know Mrs. Granger’s personality without telling you directly. Andrew Clements describes Mrs.Granger as a devoted, up-tight, and strict person. He uses several strong words such as enjoy, loved, and worshiped. Whenever someone has a word they do not understand, Mrs, Granger would tell them to look it up in the dictionary. This is because she believes that you can find all explanations in the dictionary. Overall, I think this was a very strong quote.

“From this day on and forever, I will never use the word PEN again. Instead, I will use the word FRINDLE, and I will do everything possible so others will, too.”
This one paragraph sets the storyline for the book. It builds connections between side stories and the main story. This quote has three parts. The first part is when Nick and his friends decide to never use the word pen again. The second part is when they promise to only use the word frindle. And the last part is when they try to have others join in on this new word. To me, this quote is so incredible it cannot be replaced.

“So many things have gone out of date. But after all these years, words are still important. Words are still needed by everyone. Words are used to think with, to write with, to dream with, to hope and pray with. And that is why I love the dictionary. It endures. It works. And as you know, it also changes and grows.”
This quote is the strongest paragraph in the book. It explains why the dictionary is so important to Mrs. Granger and then she agrees new words are just as important as old ones. After reading this paragraph, I felt very satisfied. Andrew Clements is an outstanding author who creates powerful paragraphs out of simple words. This one paragraph was so overwhelming. All of my emotions collided when I first read this book. And I hope you’ll have a great experience too.
-NL

The Adventures of Tintin by Hergé
I read “The Adventures of Tintin”. Tintin is a young man who solves mysteries, he is kind of like Sherlock Holmes. He has a dog named Snowy who can sniff out thieves and bones. Somehow Snowy always gets tricked into drinking rum thinking it is water. Captain Haddock is a captain aboard his ship, The Siris. Captain Haddock drinks way too much rum and if he drinks water he will get sick. I love Tintin and I recommend it for anyone who likes mysteries and graphic novels.
-ZF

Give Me Liberty: The Story of the Declaration of Independence by Russell Freedman
"Give me liberty or give me death!" said Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 as he was trying to convince other people to join in the fight for freedom. King George III of Britain was furious with the colonies for trying to free themselves from Britain and for starting a war. He declared that any American soldier that was caught would be hanged. This detailed and interesting book starts with the Boston Tea Party and goes all the way to the victory the Patriots had at Yorktown, which won them the war and more. The book teaches you a lot about the Revolutionary War and how Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. The most famous line in the Declaration of Independence is, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." This book teaches you about Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, John Hancock, George Washington and many other Revolutionary War heroes. This is a nonfiction picture book but is not for children under nine-years-old. I would give this book a 4 1/2 star rating and would recommend it to any strong readers who are interested in the Revolutionary War.
-GA

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus