Fifth Grade Math Reflections
Four out of five days of the week we have multi-grade math work. On Mondays, we meet in grade level teams. Both 4th and 5th grades review homework and concepts to prepare for the week.
On Monday 5th graders were challenged to examine their homework using a new procedure. Fifth graders were to compare homework answers with a partner. Then choose three problems where the partnership arrived at different answers.
When students arrived at different answers each student had to rework the problem and share their thinking with their partner. They explained and demonstrated their thinking.
This process was challenging on a number of levels: there was the social challenge of disagreeing with your peer. There was the conceptual challenge of explaining why you solved the problem your way. There was a flexibility and application challenge of listening carefully to grasp what your partner was explaining.
This framework allowed for fifth graders to engage fully for 30 minutes discussing math in meaningful ways. Fifth graders maintained their conversation independently and remained on topic as they challenged each other to grow. They were frustrated at times and they often worked through their frustration to gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of fractions.
At the end of class fifth graders were asked to share their thinking about the work.
On Monday 5th graders were challenged to examine their homework using a new procedure. Fifth graders were to compare homework answers with a partner. Then choose three problems where the partnership arrived at different answers.
When students arrived at different answers each student had to rework the problem and share their thinking with their partner. They explained and demonstrated their thinking.
This process was challenging on a number of levels: there was the social challenge of disagreeing with your peer. There was the conceptual challenge of explaining why you solved the problem your way. There was a flexibility and application challenge of listening carefully to grasp what your partner was explaining.
This framework allowed for fifth graders to engage fully for 30 minutes discussing math in meaningful ways. Fifth graders maintained their conversation independently and remained on topic as they challenged each other to grow. They were frustrated at times and they often worked through their frustration to gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of fractions.
At the end of class fifth graders were asked to share their thinking about the work.
- I used to think that there was only one way to find the least common denominator. Now I think there are more than 2. Most challenging today was coming up with a solution that worked for both of us. I persevered when my partner didn't understand.
- I used to think you can couldn't regroup in fraction subtraction. Now I know you can. Most challenging today was agreeing on an answer. I persevered by trying out all the different ways to do a problem.
- I used to think that adding and subtracting fractions was easy. Now I think it is easy for some and harder for others. Most challenging thing was checking the problems. I persevered by making sure my partner understood.
- I used think my answers were right. Now I think some are wrong. The most challenging thing today was admitting I was wrong. I persevered by continuing.
- I used to think that my way of solving fractions was the only way. Now I think my partner's was really helpful. Most challenging today was that me and my partner had different ways of solving things. I persevered by patience.
- I used to think that adding and subtracting fractions is easy. Now I think there's a lot more to it. The most challenging part was trying to prove your answer was right. I persevered by listening to my partner and trying to see how they got their answer.
- I used to think that I would get almost everything wrong and I would second guess myself. Now I think I can get all of the answers right and I am positive.
- I used to think math was impossible. Now I think math is a little less impossible.