More Reviews

The New Kid on The Block
I read the book The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky. This book is a book of poems. There are many funny poems and others are not so interesting. My favorite poem was Floradora Doe on page 108. I liked it because a woman named Floradora Doe talked to her plants because she thought it would make them grow, but it actually made them die. I thought that the poem Henrietta Snetter, on page 50, was not so interesting because it was about a woman named Henrietta who knitted a sweater.
I like the illustrations by James Stevenson because they are very detailed and funny. Even though the illustrations are printed in black and white and seem to have been forgotten on the side of most poems, when you read the book, the pictures seem to come to life.
If anyone is looking for a funny poetry book,  then this is the one to read!

Martin’s Mice
First off are the things I liked about Martin’s Mice, which will be hard to limit, but here it is. Martin is voiced in a way that I think sounds one third confident, and one third unsure, and one third sweet, which is nice and pretty realistic, judging as most kids happen to be like Martin, growing up curious. He is quite sweet, and that makes you even more sympathetic for him when stuff goes wrong, which means the author is pretty good. Martin is pretty cunning, which is honestly pretty hard to do to a character without everybody else looking dumb. Those are only a few of the many wonders of Martin’s Mice.
Then there are those things that I didn’t enjoy, or just were annoying, but please don’t let these change your mind unless it seems less like your style of book (you may like it more for these things!). I feel that Dulcie Maude, Robin, and Lark are way too harsh, but then again, they probably had to to make Martin seem even sweeter. Drusilla is also kind of harsh at times, but excuses to the rescue, she has children every other month. Cuthbert also tends to be a bit of an annoying mouse, since he separated Martin and Drusilla by fainting, causing Drusilla to think Martin had killed him. There are a few more things, but those are not super important to the story.
This book is only good for specific people, so I want to make that clear. It’s a quick read, so don’t read it if you’re looking for a long book (duh). This book is good for almost every kid, unless you’re like me on an endless quest to conquer longer and longer books (I still enjoyed it anyway). This book is only 121 and a half pages, and that is including pictures! Nice for if you want a nice read that doesn’t take long.

The BFG
This book is about Sophie and the BFG trying to stop giants from eating humans. I like this book because the BFG makes up a lot of funny words like flushbunking flurry. One of the many things I like is when they put the bad giants in the pit and these drunken men climb over the fence around the hole and fall in, they put a sign on the fence that says It is forbidden to feed the giants. And I thought that was pretty funny. Another good thing about this book is that there’s these vegetables called snozzcumbers because that they taste horrible and the BFG feeds them to the bad giants in the end. One of the things I disliked is that it’s pretty boring when Sophie is in the orphanage and the BFG captures her because you don’t know that much and it’s like two chapters of the book.

The BFG
I just read The BFG last week.  My favorite character was the BFG even though last time I read it my favorite character was Sophie.  I think the reason why my favorite character was the BFG was because he is the most interesting character and because he has the most interesting life.  I think that one of my favorite sentences that the BFG said is the one where he asks Sophie if she can get him an elephant.  I don't know why I like it, but it's just a sentence that the BFG says out of the blue.  I guess it sort of sticks out from the rest of the page.  When Sophie first gets captured and finds out that the BFG is nice, she asks him why he snatched her from her bed (the question we would all probably ask).  I really like his answer.  I like it because it has some funny words like he calls a TV a Tellytelly buncin box.  I think that Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors!

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
The Mouse and the Motorcycle was a very fun and adventurous book. The characters were Ralph, Keith, Matt, Mr. and Mrs. Griddly, and Ralph's family. Ralph is a curious, and adventurous mouse, and Keith is a boy who is a motorcycle lover.  The story was about a family that went to a hotel with their son, Keith, who met a mouse called Ralph who liked to ride Keith's toy motorcycle.  But then Ralph lost the motorcycle and Keith became sick, so Ralph went to find a medicine to cure him.  He found an aspirin for the his friend, and Keith and the mouse's family were so proud of Ralph.  The boy was so grateful that he let Ralph keep his toy motorcycle (that one of the workers in the hotel found in the laundry and had returned to the boy.) It was an exciting book - there was a very scary moment when a person caught the mouse and threw him out the window, but luckily the mouse caught onto a branch and saved himself.  Ralph the mouse inspired me to be adventurous and give everything a chance.

The Hardy Boys: The Firebird Rocket
Here are some things I like about this book. I liked the part when Chet launches a model rocket and it goes a little off course. I also liked that it kind of includes two cases in one case. And lastly I like the excitement, like the run in with some cargo. Those are some things I liked about the book.
There were a few things I didn't like about the book. One was that they got rescued in the end. I like it when it doesn't matter if the police come or not, like in The Mysterious Cavern. Another thing I didn't like was the secret of Professor Young. And the final think I didn't like was that on page 41 it makes Smoky look like a bad guy. Those are the things I didn't like.
I would recommend this book to someone who likes mystery, adventure, and excitement. I would say mystery because it's a mystery.  I would say adventure because they go to Australia. And I would say excitement because of the cargo run-in. That's why I would recommend it to those people.

No Talking
Another book I read was No Talking. The main characters were Dave, Lynsey, & Mrs. Hait. Dave & Lynsey are in Fifth grade. But them and the rest of their class are the noisiest class their school has ever seen. Dave & Lynsey both find something new from Dave’s idea. Dave learns that things like “um” can be words. And Lynsey realizes that whatever she thought just poured right out of her mouth. If you were the loudest class your school has ever had, what would you do?
Dave is trying to not talk for a whole day. At lunch, he speaks and challenges a competition to the girls, boys vs girls. No talking for 2 days straight, but if a teacher asks you a question, you answer with 3 words. Whoever talks less in the next 2 days wins. But whats the point of practicing singing if you cant speak? In Language Arts the teacher thinks that no talking is great and takes advantage of it. But not everyone likes this whole no talking idea. But little do these Fifth Graders know, this competition is about to change their lives.
I loved this book. I probably would rate it 5 stars. I realized that lots of Andrew Clement’s books seem to take place in a school. I can’t think of anyone specific to recommend this book to. It seems like the book says that you shouldn't go around doing crazy things at school. Would you do something like that? I wouldn’t.

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger
I read Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by, Louis Sachar. I mostly liked the book but it wasn't quite juicy enough for me.  My impression was that every chapter is a different story and the chapters weren’t related.  For example, chapter 3 is called Poetry and is about totally different people and chapter 2 is called Dr.Pickle who is not related to Wayside School at all.  Also, the book doesn't get stranger like it says in the title.  
Let’s look at the pros instead of the cons now.  The chapters are fun to read and the charecters are silly and a little bit crazy too.  I also like seeing subsatute teachers, because they always have something weird about them and it makes the story interesting.
I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars and I recommend it to younger readers.

The BFG
The BFG is really funny. Roald dahl made it so that all kinds of kids enjoy this book. my personal favorite is the part about "Frobscottle" and "whizpoppers." and I too would like to make a good book someday. If I write a book someday, I want it to be like the Book in the dream. It's really creative, like the reason there are two pages at the back of the Atlas.
I highly recomend this book.

The BFG
The next book I read was the BFG. The main Characters are the BFG( Big Friendly Giant), Sophie, and the Queen of England. Other characters are the other 9 man-eating giants and Mr. Tibbs. (The Butler). The BFG is Half the size of the other giants that are around 40 feet. Sophie has Glasses with steel rims and really thick lenses and she can barely see anything when not wearing them. The Queen of England is has a great poker face when looking at a giant for the first time. And the 9 other giants Do nothing but lay around and eat humans. These were all the characters, But next I’ll explain the actual story.
One night Sophie gets up and looks out the window in the witching hour. The BFG sees her looking at him while he was blowing dreams into Bedroom windows. The BFG takes her to his cave and explains the flavors of people, what Snozzcumbers and Frobscottle are and how horrid the rest of the giants are. Sophie thinks the Giants are dreadful and decides to tell the Queen of England about it in her dreams. Together Sophie, The BFG and the Queen of England capture the giants and put them in a gigantic hole. The giants never got out for the rest of their lives. They deserved it.
This book was better to me the first time I read it. I have read better books. But I wouldn't  mind reading it over and over again. It was a good  book and I think the end was really different from most books. It said: Where is the book that he wrote, you ask? It’s right here! You just finished reading it.

BFG by Ronald Dahl
If you like adventurist books I recommend the BFG by Ronald Dahl.  One exciting thing that happened in this book was then the BFG and Sofie the orphan kid go to England to give the queen of England to give the Queen of England a nightmare.  
Another thing that I liked about the book was that it never stops with exciting things it just keeps going. The book has funny parts like when the Queen is telling the servants to make the chair for the BFG. These are some of the reasons why I like the BFG.  It’s hilarious, never boring and full of adventure!

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
This week I’m going to write about characters and my first character is Jason a demigod and son of Zeus(The leader of the Greek Gods). I think Jason is strong because he killed Enceladus the giant by summoning a giant bolt of lightning. Even though he had almost no energy left from fighting the giant, he survived. He also is very confusing because a bunch of wolves were going to attack him so he said something to the wolves in latin and they all ran away and he didnt even know what he said. Lastly he is very powerful because he can summon lightning, he has a silver sword and he can fly. Even though he has amnesia I still think he’s the most powerful.
The next character will be Piper daughter of Aphrodite(The god of love). I think Piper is confident because she challenged Drew(another daughter of Aphrodite) to a duel and Drew backed down. I also think she wants to be treated like a normal kid because her dad's a really big movie star. Lastly I think Piper likes Jason because in the book she's always talking about how much she likes Jason. I think Pipers a great friend because she was very nice on the quest.
The last character I will talk about is Leo son of Hephaestus(The metal work god.) I think Leo is very reckless because he just charged at a giant earthborn(which is a ogre with six arms) with a tree cutter and the tree cutter got crushed by the earthborn. He is also very clever because he disarmed all of king Midas’s traps so easily and quickly. He lastly like Jason,is very powerful because he defeated a cyclopes with fire even though cyclopes are fireproof and he tamed a metal dragon. I hope you enjoyed this weeks RRL and can’t wait to show you a new one.

Poppy
This book is about a young mouse named Poppy who sneaks to the top of Bannok Hill to dance with her friend Ragweed without asking the owl "Mr. Ocax" who claims to be in charge of the land. That night when Poppy and Ragweed were on the hill, Mr. Ocax swooped down and got a hold of Ragweed and brought him to his nest and ate him. When Poppy gets home, shaken from her experience, her family is talking about moving to a new house that is on the other side of Dimwood Forest. Her father decides to take Poppy with him but when they ask Mr. Ocax to let them go to the new house he says no because Poppy and Ragweed didn't ask him to if he could go to Bannok Hill. The next day, Poppy's father was sad that his family could not move to the new house because there wasn't enough food for the whole family. Poppy stepped up and said she would go to the new house and see why Mr. Ocax is not letting them go. Poppy  adventures through Dimwood Forest and when she gets there she finds out why Mr. Ocax is not letting her family there. The real truth about Mr. Ocax is that he is not as fearless as he told her family all these years and proves that all these things he told her family about him was a lie.
I liked this book because it is a book that’s easy to understand. It will catch your interest because the book is very exciting and fun. The book is good for grades 4-5th grade.

Smile
I liked the book because it was funny.   I liked this part because she rode home in a car.  On the way running to her porch, she fell and lost her two front teeth but her friend only found one tooth.  So Raina had to go the the Doctor a lot of times to get her braces fixed.
I would recommend this book.

Who is Pablo Picasso?
I liked the book because he makes abstract paintings for people. I like them because they were cool. Pablo Picasso's abstract paintings looked different from other paintings. The lips were on the head and the ears were on the bottom of the head.
I would recommend this book.

The Littlest Pet Shop
I liked the book because it was fun to read. My favorite part was when they were cooking in the kitchen. It was funny. Everything got messed up and thrown around. The batter was flying. They had to clean it up fast before the shop keeper found out.
I would recommend the book.

The Cod’s Tale

This book is about the story of how they used cod throughout history. Cod fish can lay millions of eggs, but most of them get eaten except a few. Back then cod was a great source of food. A long time ago there was a lot of cod , but now there’s not a lot of cod left. I really liked this book, but I don’t normally like non-fiction. It had a lot of interesting facts, recipes, and pictures.  I highly recommend this book.

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus