Book Reviews

Are you still wondering which books to read this summer? Check out some reviews from your classmates, and see if any of these titles pique your interest.

Wonder
Wonder is about a boy with a misshapen face. The boy’s name is August (Auggie). It is Auggie’s first time ever at school. He is frantic. Auggie makes some friends (Jack, Summer) and some enemies (Julian, some older boys, and basically his whole school). After all though it turned out to be an acceptable year.
Auggie lives in New York, New York. He likes the big city because there are other things to focus on besides his face. I don’t know if I like his face or not because I’ve never seen it.
I really enjoyed Wonder because it has a little bit of everything: romance, tragedy, it’s even a little funny at the end. If I were a reviewer I would give Wonder 5 stars.


Nancy Drew - The Triple Hoax
Mrs. Annabella Richards is a wealthy widow.  In the beginning of the book, Nancy Drew receives a letter from her Aunt Eloise.  Her Aunt writes about Mrs. Richards who was married to a rich man and he passed away. She is also kind. The proof I have for Mrs. Richards being kind is she was worried that her driver, Roscoe, was hurt when he didn’t come on time to pick her up from the airport on time (Roscoe is never late).  The last is she used to be a school teacher. The proof I have for her being a school teacher is when Aunt Eloise sent Nancy the letter for the mission to help Mrs. Annabella Richards, she says she used to work with Mrs. Richards at a school.  And that's what I’ve found out about Mrs. Richards.
Aunt Eloise is the reason Mrs. Richards is getting help from Nancy. She is a school teacher. I know that because it says it in the letter and she couldn't go on a trip for the mission because she had to work. She is also generous. The proof I have for that is she brought the kids to a magic show which helped them solve some of the mysteries.  She tends to mind her own business and doesn’t have a lot to say. I picked Aunt Eloise because she makes the story happen.
Nancy Drew is a detective. The reason I know that is she’s helping Mrs Richards to reach her goal to find who has been tricking her. She is a good photographer. The proof I have for that is she took a picture of a man that was hoaxing her friend and the police got a lot out of it.  Nancy has good ideas but she is also open to other people’s suggestions.  Nancy brings her friends Bess & George on the mission which was a great idea because they help her.  Bess has the idea to dress up so they wouldn’t be recognized at the third magic show.  Nancy is intelligent.  She uses her ideas to solve challenging mysteries.
I recommend this book to people who like mysteries.  


No Talking
Here are the things I liked about the book No Talking. The contest that they had was really interesting. I also liked that the teachers weren't like ours because they let them go on with their no talking contest. The last thing I like about it is that they got to have a silent contest that was 5th grade boys against 5th grade girls. I wish we could try the contest next year.
These are the things I disliked about the book. It didn't announce the winners of the contest. It also wasn't clear to me. The last thing I didn't like about is that it didn't use transitioning words. Otherwise I really liked the book!
Here are the my recommendations for the book. I recommend the book to people who like contests because there is one big one. Also I recommend the book to people who like experiments. I recommend the book to people who like school since this takes place in school. You might like it if you like My Weird School because there both girls vs boys and they both have weird teachers.


The BFG
The BFG by Roald Dahl is an enjoyable and fun book. The characters were funny - for example, the BFG made up many weird words like “ringbeller” which means “an amazing dream; the complete opposite of a nightmare.” The beginning was hard to get, but the end was interesting.  The BFG reminded me of my dad because he always says something funny and ridiculous.  Overall, I highly recommend it, even though it wasn’t great at first, I really enjoyed it by the end of the book.


Nancy Drew 27
One book I read was Nancy Drew 27. The main characters were Nancy, Mrs. Struthers, Rose, Akita, George & Beth. Nancy is strong, brave and won’t give up. Rose is Mrs. Struthers’ grand daughter and runs off whenever she wants wherever she wants. George and Beth are cousins. Mrs. Struther collects dolls. Akita is a gypsy that works for her king to take Rose because of her father who was brought to there camp. If this catches your attention, (which I hope it does) then keep on reading.                                                                   
This story really caught my attention with all the surprises. Akita steals or buys dolls to sell. Soon she takes some of Mrs. Struthers dolls. Next, she is hired to kidnap Rose. Once she succeeds Nancy comes and explains to Rose that her father is in the same camp as her. Once Rose has met her father Nancy is able to uncover most of her mystery. If you were hired to kidnap someone, would you do it?
I liked this book and would rate it 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone that likes mystery.
My favorite part part was when someone robbed Mrs. Struthers’ house. What would you do if someone did that to you? One thing I didn't like was when Nancy was poisoned by a doll. I think that it was a little useless. But I liked most of the book and if you read it I think you would to.


The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

The first book I read was the Reptile Room from a Series of Unfortunate Events. Basically this series is about three orphan siblings named Violet, Klaus and Sunny traveling from relative to relative experiencing unfortunate events. I liked the way the author Lemony Snicket explains the challenging words in the book when they first appear so you can understand them such as tenebrous and foil. I also like how they brought back Count Olaf as the bad guy in this book, it made this book a lot more interesting. My favorite part of the book was when all three of them cried because there pet snake viper was being taken from them because they were moving, and all three of them are crying together at end the book about Viper. Thank you for reading my book review and I recommend this series to Danny and Shubhi.

Sarah, Plain and Tall
Sarah Plain and Tall is about a girl who tells the story of her life. The girl`s name is Anna. Her mother died the day after her brother was born. Things were different after her mother died. There was no singing, no dancing, there was almost no happiness, but that all changed when Papa got a letter.
Papa wrote an advertisement in the newspaper about getting a new wife. Anna was excited, but also nervous. What if papa didn't get a wife, or what if he did, but she wasn't nice. Papa did get a letter and he wrote back to get to know her. Anna wrote back too.  Anna found out that the person  that wrote the letters was named Sarah and that she would be staying with them for a few months.
Sarah said in one of her letters she would be wearing a yellow bonnet and yellow dress and I'm plain and tall. When Sarah arrives she looks just like she said. Dressed in yellow and plain and tall. It turned out Sarah was a great mother. She sung, she danced, and she brought happiness to the little old farm.
If I were a reviewer I would I would give Sarah Plain and Tall 5 stars.

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus