Sick, Tired and Hungry--Spring is Here in the Thunder and Lightning

It's that time of year again--the trees are blooming, leaves are appearing, and the grass is greener. It's also the time of year when we hear the following: "I'm so hungry and I'm out of lunch. Can I have some crackers?" Or: "I'm so tired I can hardly think."

This is a growing season for children and they require more food and more sleep. It's lighter later, and after school activities have increased so children are more active and perhaps going to bed (or falling asleep) later. Adherence to sleep schedules is so important during this time. Our students are working hard at school all day. A good night's sleep is imperative. According to sleepfoundation.org, students of this age need 9-11 hours of sleep.

Also, it might be the time to put a few more protein snacks in their lunch. Saltines just don't provide the long lasting energy that they need. We keep them for emergencies, but they really don't sustain a hungry child for very long.

Lastly, several of our students have been home sick with a fever and other ailments. We are encouraging the students to sanitize and wash their hands frequently. We would encourage you also to speak with your children about the importance of keeping germs at bay by hand washing frequently and sanitizing as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Recently...

More than One Way to Solve a Problem

Summary by Justus