Three Reviews by Madi
I
will be using a “star rating” for these reviews and I will include the genre,
author, and title. When you see one star
it means I DESPISED the book. Three stars means the book was good. Five stars
means I LOVED IT, as in Hunger Games loved it!!!! Here we go: 3...2...1...
Tale of Desperaux,
Fantasy, Kate DiCammilo
This
book is an amazing example of how to intertwine three stories to create a sadly
harsh adventure that turns sweet at the end. You have to endure the sadness to
get to the sweet, sweet heart. All of this richness is packed into one small
story, making this work truly genius. ***** :)
The Secret Series,
Mystery, Pseudonymous Bosch
There
are five books in this series. I chose to read the fifth book called You Have
to Stop This! In my opinion, this the
funniest book in the series. In this book, Cassandra, Max-Ernest, and Yo-Yoji
defeat Lord Pharaoh who was the founder of the Midnight Sun which is an evil
organization. The members of the Midnight Sun are enemies of the Terces Society
whose members are good. Overall, I think this book is pretty good. **** : )
Frindle, Fiction,
Andrew Clements
OMG!!!!
THIS BOOK IS SO SO SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! This is an classic example of fiction. My
favorite part is when the News comes over to interview Mrs. Granger and her
class because of ONE WORD! Seriously Frindle is JUST A WORD!!! To me Mrs.
Granger comes off as an old lady who doesn’t want to be teaching so she becomes
very strict with her students! Basically I would recommend this book to anyone
who could read! Do!!!! *****!!!! :)
Nancy Drew, Mystery,
Carolyn Kene (which
is the pseudnym that Mildred Wirt Benson and Walter Carige used to write Nancy
Drew books)
Eh.
The book I read was Smile, and Say Murder! It was ok. Kinda’ disappointing. I
was hoping it would be more action filled. And the way they portrayed the good
guy made him come off as frankly a rude boor. Nothing left to say. Must go fill
my brain with GOOD literature. * :(
Sarah, Plain and
Tall, Historical Fiction, Patricia
MacLachlan
This
was an amazing book! I loved the letter writing part. Especially when Sarah
described herself as Plain and Tall. Especially since once she got there they
pretty much praised her. Anyhow, If someone told me to describe this book in
one word it would be....... Majestic! ***** :)
The Trouble Begins at 8, Sid Fleischman
At first I thought this book would be
boring but I actually liked it. Here is my favorite quote: A lie can travel
halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes. This Mark
twain guy is simply... AMAZING!!! And the prize for best summer reading goes
to... The Trouble begins at 8! Listen up all You literary Haters read this book
or else! Heeeheeeheeheee! And yes Mom you were right for “ STRONGLY
ENCOURAGING” me to read this book. HAPPY!? ***** :)
Where The Sidewalk ends, Shel Silverstein, Poetry
This book is so so so so GOOD! My
favorite poem is
WHO
Who can kick a football
From here out to Afghanistan?
I can!
Who fought tigers in the street
While all the policemen ran and hid?
I did!
Who will fly and have X-ray eyes ---
And be known as the man no bullet can
kill?
I will!
Who can sit and tell lies all night?
I might!
I definitely think that while Shel
Silverstien was trying to be funny in some poems I could tell that there were
other times where it felt he was using humor to make
commentary. Long story short this was
an amazing book! *****
:)
greg
kenton maurashaw
Skylark,
Historical Fiction, Patricia MacLachlan
This is the sequel to Sarah, Plain, and Tall. As I
expressed in my review for Sarah, Plain, and Tall I quite enjoyed it, but this
time around not only was it amazing but it was also sad. A whole family, except
for Sarah, that has been together since birth has to be separated because of a
drought, nonetheless, to two completely different states. A family longing to be together. Heart
wrenching! Just when the worst happens absolutely
NO water and separated from their father, the best development: RAIN! The father joins them and the family is reunited.
This was NOT an amazing book. NO, it was a SPLENDID book! *****J
Lunch
Money, Fiction, Andrew Clements
For this review I decided to write what I would
write on the back of the book Lunch Money.
MEET GREG KENTON, MULTI-BILLIONAIRE IN THE MAKING.
Greg
Kenton has two obsessions -- making money and his long-standing competition
with his (by his opinion) annoying neighbor, Maura Shaw. So when Greg discovers that
Maura is cutting into his booming Chunky Comics business with her own original
illustrated mini-books, he's ready to declare war. The only problems are A. ALL of his customers are going to
Maura’s “bookstore”. And B. He has to admit her books ARE… pretty good. Will
Greg Find away to get his customers back or will this be his first Bankrupt
Business?
Pretty good, Right?! Anyways I would
recommend this book to 2nd grade and up.
*****J